This recipe originally called for ground beef and whole milk, so here’s a healthier vegetarian version that’s still gluten-free and soy-free. You could use lentils in place of the beans, depending on what you have on hand. It’s a pretty flexible recipe, so have fun with it!
[GF] This recipe is gluten-free.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 oz.) corn, drained
- 2/3 can (15 oz. can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (6 oz.) sliced olives, drained
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Large skillet
- 8×8 glass casserole dish
- Aluminum foil
- Food processor or Slap-Chop is very helpful but not required
- Saute onion, garlic, and green pepper in olive oil for a few minutes until softened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add mashed kidney beans and stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, corn, and olives. Stir to mix.
- Add milk and stir for a few minutes until heated evenly.
- Add cornmeal, salt, and chili powder. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Grease 8×8 glass casserole dish. Pour in the skillet mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top of the casserole, then bake 5 more minutes.
Adapted from “Tamale Casserole” in The Gluten-free Gourmet: Revised Edition, by Bette Hagman, page 276.