This is a very quick and easy pasta dish, created spontaneously one night while I was baking other things. It requires very little prep work, and can be scaled up to larger dish sizes if you need to serve more people.
[V*] Make this recipe vegan by substituting vegan cheese.
- 1 bag (12 oz.) whole wheat egg noodles (or any other wide noodle)
- 1 can (8 oz.) mushroom stems & pieces
- 1 jar (24 oz.) Prego spaghetti sauce
- 2/3 bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed, or 2/3 lb. fresh spinach, chopped
- 3-6 oz. tomato paste (optional)
- 2/3 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Large sauce pan or small/medium stew pot for cooking noodles
- Casserole dish (9×13 or a little smaller)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Partially cook the noodles. If the package says “al dente in 7-9 minutes,” cook it for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the cooked noodles and pour into the casserole dish.
- Pour spaghetti sauce, spinach, mushrooms, tomato paste, and most of the cheese over noodles. Mix well.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, top with remaining cheese, and bake for about 10 minutes more.
My own creation, inspired by Sbarro‘s spinach and mushroom pizza.