This recipe came from a Pillsbury Bake-Off cookbook. It tastes very creamy and decadent, but isn’t as heavy as many similar recipes. It’s also very simple to put together, and much tastier than I expected. This would be an excellent dish to take to a brunch potluck or other gathering.
- 4 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 can (8 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup lowfat plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. wheat germ or breadcrumbs
- 2 mixing bowls — 1 large, 1 medium
- Small skillet
- Large pot for cooking noodles
- 12×8 baking dish (size is flexible)
- Boil noodles as usual according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking dish and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in small skillet. Add green onions and parsley. Saute over medium heat for a few minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, combine green onions, parsley, mushrooms, and noodles.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, then stir in salt, pepper, cottage cheese and yogurt. Blend well.
- Add egg-yogurt-cottage cheese mixture to noodle-mushroom mixture in large mixing bowl. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle with wheat germ or breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 33-40 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from “Golden Mushroom Noodle Bake” on page 9 of Pillsbury Classic Cookbook #86, Bake-Off: All New 33rd Contest Cookbook, © 1988