These veggie patties are very simple to make, and much healthier than the original fried recipe. I like to pair them with tomato, avocado, and some cheese melted on whole-wheat crackers. They freeze well for future lunches and dinners too!
- 1 large baking potato, cleaned and grated (skins optional)
- 2 medium zucchini, skinned and grated
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Food processor is very helpful but not required
- Baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into patties. Arrange patties on baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, turning half-way through.
Adapted from “Crispy Vegetable Pancakes,” page 80 of Essentials: Vegetables by Bernice Hurst, copyright 2002 by Exclusive Editions, Parragon Publishing.