You may have noticed a theme in my muffin ingredients (carrots, zucchini, bananas…), but this recipe is definitely among my favorites yet. Adapted from a Whole Foods recipe, they are sweet and flavorful, vegan, and nearly fat-free.
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup sweetened finely shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Food processor is very helpful but not required
- Muffin pan (recipe makes 12 muffins)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 12-cup muffin pan and set it aside.
- Pulse oats in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- In a large bowl, mix ground oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt.
- In another large bowl, mix carrots, zucchini, banana, honey, brown sugar, raisins, coconut, and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until completely blended.
- Pour into muffin pan. Bake until golden brown on top and toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Cool and serve. These freeze very well!